Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sweet & Sour Chicken


This is one of my favorite Chinese food dishes and I used to buy the sweet & sour sauce, but this time I made everything from scratch.

I used about 1-2lbs of boneless-skinless chicken cut into chunks. I cooked the chicken with a little bit of vegetable oil, then added about a teaspoon of minced garlic. Then added a small whole onion chopped up. Cook until browned or a little mushy (onions).Next, I added 3 green bell peppers chopped up in squares. I let the chicken with garlic, onions, and bell peppers cook for awhile while making the sweet and sour sauce

Making the sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Place sugar, vinegar, water, soy sauce, ketchup, and cornstarch in saucepan and heat. Bring to a boil and stir continuously until thickened.

After you add the sauce to the chicken and veggie mixture add a can of chunk pineapple (drain the juice out first). Mix all together and let simmer for as long as you would like.

Serve over warm rice! It was yummy! I liked it better then buying the sauce :)

No comments:

Post a Comment